8 things to watch in the opener
1) Ryan Radcliff. All eyes are on this make or break position. It is important for Radcliff to start hot and finish strong. Reasonable numbers against this D1A foe would be 300+ yards, 65% completion rate, 2 TDs and NO PICKS! Taking care of the football is a premium for the senior quarterback.
2) The run game. CMU needs to prove they can run the ball and put the pedal to the floor and what better time to show case this than against a D1A program?
3) The trenches. Can CMU dominate the defensive and offensive line? This o-line points to #4 but I will also be watching the defensive line very closely–specifically Walton, Losiniecki, Johnson, McClendon and Serpa. Let the big dogs eat!
4) The wide receivers. Not because I’m worried but because this group is so freaking talented. Cody Wilson, Courtney Williams and Titus Davis highlight this group but they are really deep. Look for some new faces like Andrew Flory to get some reps and also some old faces like Deon Butler and Jerry Harris to show up.
5) The tight ends. Who will replace David Blackburn’s production? Caleb Southworth seems to have the inside track for the starting position but I’m taking a dark horse in this race, Ben McCord. Is this position suddenly a roster strength?
6) The backup race. Who’s the backup? I would say whoever comes in after Radcliff will be the player with the leg up for the backup job but from what I’ve heard it’s been a very close competition. This seems like a two horse race at this point: Alex Niznak or Cody Kater. This could be more important heading into Spring ball in 2013 but as always, it’s next man in when needed.
7) Attendance. Can CMU fans make the opener look full? Unfortunately, I will not be helping this one…
The students. Can the student section refrain from acting like idiots? Just to remind the students, you look like complete morons when you chant, “F*** you”. You know who else looks bad? The alumni and our school. So please stop acting like morons, please and thank you.